Thursday 4 April 2013

Author Interview with Barbie Sue Johnson




Welcome to my Author interview and many thanks to Barbie Sue.



Author - (B.S. Johnson)

1/  Can you tell us a little about yourself?
    B.S. Johnson (affectionately known to friends as Barbie Sue) was raised up in rural towns in North Georgia. She has been writing poetry and short stories since she was very young. It wasn't until her forties that she finally decided to start doing something with her writing and started submitting some of her work. 
2/  When and what made you decide you wanted to be a writer?
   I was raised an only child. My parents adopted me at the age of eleven months old. I was told about his at the age of eight or so. Hearing something of that caliber when you're so young is a difficult thing to deal with. I didn't understand it, and thought it was a bad thing. I turned to poetry as an outlet for my feelings and frustrations. 
3/  Can you tell us something about your books, genre?
   As of right now, I have several poems that have been published in magazines. As far as my books, I have two non-fictions out. The first one is a free e-book available on Smashwords.com called Being Kind In An Unkind World. It is more of a compilation, really. It's about doing random acts of kindness for people, whether directly or indirectly. My most recent book, Maters, Taters & Grits, is available in print format, and on Kindle, through Amazon, B&N.com, and many more. It is about life in the South, from mud runs and Southern Hospitality to Traditions and how to treat your mama. 
4/  Where do you get your ideas from?
   The voices in my head! Actually, my poems mostly stem from experiences in my life that were painful. My books have just been about my life so far. I am currently working on a fiction novel, and those ideas are based on the Southern lifestyle and things that happen around me. 
5/  Are you working on a new book at the moment?
   Three, actually. I have one almost completed that is a collection of my poems. The other two are completely new genres for me-  one is a murder mystery, the other is an adventure series. I'm not sure the direction it's going to take yet. It's surprising me at the moment!
6/  What are your ambitions concerning your writing career?
   I just want to entertain and inspire. If I change someone's life for the better, or encourage someone to write, or become someone's inspiration, I've done what I set out to do. 
7/  Which writers inspire you?
   J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Clive Barker, John Grisham
8/  What book are you reading at present?
   Honestly, my schoolbooks! I have homework and studies pretty regular, as I'm taking Animal Behavior classes and Dog Obedience Training. It takes up a lot of time at the moment. 
9/  What are your thoughts on reviews, good and bad?
   If they are honest, fine. I've heard people say they review books and they never even picked up the book. You are not doing the Author any favors- good or bad- by doing that. Be honest. Not everyone is going to like your book. But don't put a bad review because someone commented something you didn't like on your Facebook status, either. 
10/  What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
    Believe in yourself. Above all. Do not let anything or anyone get in the way of your dreams. 
11/ Do you have any advice on how to market your books?
    Use any and all of the Social Media available to you. Talk about it. A lot. 
12/  What would you consider to be the worst thing about being an indie author?
     Trying to get the word out about your book among the zillion others. Marketing is key. Being different and standing out is important. 
13/  What do you like to do when your not writing, hobbies etc?
     Fishing, hiking, horseback riding, gardening, four-wheeling, and cooking out with friends and family.
14/  How long on average does it take you to write a book, what is your schedule?
     Since I have so much going on, I don't really have a schedule. I should, but I don't. I have a Windows Phone, so anytime I get the urge to write, I use the Microsoft Office feature on my phone to jot down ideas, paragraphs or poems. Maters, Taters & Grits was written using mostly my phone. It really comes in handy. 
15/  What is your favourite positive saying?
     Stop telling God how big your problems are and start telling your problems how big God is!
16/  Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your books?
     Sandra Bullock. She has natural beauty. She's real. 
17/  Who did your fabulous book covers?
     On Being Kind, it was Tatiana Villa. For Maters, it was the wonderful design team at Sweatshoppe Publications and the talented Paul Brand.
18/  What is your favourite movie and why?
      Twister. I don't really know why. I have watched it a thousand times if I've watched it once, and it never gets old, I can quote it, and it just remains my favorite.
19/  Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
      Running a farm where we host a number of programs for special needs children to come out and learn about animals and take part in caring for horses, riding them, and earning certificates for their participation. 
20/  Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
     Billy the Kid. I'd love to sit down and have a beer with him and get inside that head of his.
21/ What is your favourite takeaway food?
     That would have to be Pizza!
Where can you be reached?
Blog/Website: www.bsjohnson.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BSJohnson12
Twitter: B_SJohnson
Linkedin: 
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/BS-BarbieSue
Smashwords: smashwords.com/books/view/256101
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maters-Taters-Grits-B-Johnson/dp/0988782057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365006359&sr=8-1&keywords=maters+taters+and+grits

My thanks to Barbie Sue for a wonderful and insightful interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment